Friday, October 8, 2010

BIRD MAN AMULET/ Figurative Ceramic Shamanic Sculpture by Eric Whollem/ Oxides on white earthenware clay/ Mythographic Abstraction




 Bird Man
2004
by Eric Whollem
oxides on white earthenware clay
2"
PHOTO COPYRIGHT BY THE ARTIST

Textures in Groggy Clay

As I most frequently utilize 'sculpture mix' clay to create my
ceramic sculptures, I find that the rough texture of the clay
can often add an interesting surface to the final work.

The brands I use most are Laguna or Imco Clay. . .either
white or terracotta. Other red clays, such as Laguna Hawaiian
Red has proven interesting to work with.

This piece was colored with ceramic oxides, burnished to
bring out the texture of the clay body.


BIRD MAN

Mythically Bird Man is represented in the Japanese figure
called the Tengu. He is also found in the petroglyphic arts
of Easter Island.

Basically my Bird Man is a shamanic figure. The shaman
is traditionally attributed with the powers of magical
flight. . .penetration into the astral dimension.

Bird Woman is well known as a shamanic archetype in the
Goddess traditions of Europe.

________________

Readers intersested in my posts on SHAMANISM can find them on this link:

See my CERAMIC AMULETS here:

My posts on MYTHOLOGY can be accessed here:

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inquiries, reactions, observations, favorites, commentary. Share with others.