Wednesday, September 15, 2010

CONCOW MAIDU FAUX POSTAGE STAMPS/ An earth painting made from natural earth, ash, and charcoal/ 'Voice of the Turtle' by Eric Whollem/ THE MAIDU CREATION STORY/ A cinderella cyber stamp edition from the micronation of Maidem Kodom




Voice of the Turtle
Maidem Kodom
2010
by Eric Whollem
copyright by the artist

Voice of the Turtle: an Earth Painting of Ultrama

Ultrama is the Turtle from the Concow Maidu story of creation.
Legend has it that Ultrama dove to the bottom of the sea to bring
up mud, which was used to make the world.

According to Tom Epperson, Maidu storyteller, the realm in which
Ultrama acted was called Kodomyeponi, which I translate as The
World of Shamans. 'Kodom' means 'land;' and 'yeponi' means
'shaman' or 'doctor.'

Maidem Kodom is my own name for the 'Country of the Maidu.'




                                  A video about my earth paints.


The painting on the stamp above was made from natural earth
pigments, charcoal and ash, gathered and processed by myself.
I showed this painting at a Pow Wow in Oroville, California back
in the 1980's when I conducted a workshop on making paints from
earth gathered in nature. Later the work was exhibited at Pacific
Western Traders in Folsom, California.

_______________

Readers interested in Earth Paints should see my posts on the subject:


A video about the Concow Maidu                      

To view my articles on Maidu Indians see this link:

BELOW IS A VIDEO
SHOWING MORE STAMPS OF
MAIDEM KODOM

SPIRIT ANIMALS OF THE CONCOW MAIDU     
             
Those interested in my other Stamp creations may view my posts here:


*
Artist stamps, artistamps, cinderella stamps, cyberstamps, fantasy stamps, faux postage, mail art, micronation stamps. Earth paints; mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inquiries, reactions, observations, favorites, commentary. Share with others.